Saturday, January 31, 2009

From the Age of Dinosaurs

I am an internet junkie. This is obvious to most of the people who know me online. The number of webpages I click through a day is likely measurable in units bigger than I can count on my fingers. One of the things most of my viewers probably don't know about me is when it comes to the daily news, I'm still a throw-back to the old print forms of media.

I have had delivered and read the morning newspaper almost every day, save vacations and days the paper isn't published, since I was a teenager. To me, there is nothing quite the same as leisurely leafing through the morning paper over breakfast and a cup of coffee. The ability to be able to sit anywhere, sift through the pages in any order you want. Read half a story, go on to the next, and return to where you left off at any time.

I remember when the paper boy was part of the our culture. Walking down the street, you would see a paper on most door steps. These days the paper boy on a bicycle has long been replaced in most cities by adults driving cars earning spare change. The front porches with newspapers the rare exception rather than the norm.

With my newspaper subscription, I receive an e-mail early every morning with a link to the online version of the day's paper. The link usually remains unvisited while I wait for the morning paper to arrive on my doorstep.

5 Comments:

Simon Butler said...

When I was a kid the paper had to be put through the letterbox. If the delivery boy didn’t it would either be nicked, set on fire, or be soaked by rain. It always amazed me to see films set in the US where the paperboy just cycled down the road casually throwing newspapers in the rough direction of people’s front doors.

That may just have been the area we lived in though.

becomingkate said...

Em is a paper girl, and uses a little red wagon to deliver.
I love having breakfast with Bill and reading the paper. You don't have to say a word, yet it's so companionable.

Anonymous said...

These new adult paper deliverers are no good. They just toss the paper on the sidewalk infront of the house. At least kids threw it at terminal velocity at the door or through the window. A great wake up alarm!

I am also addicted to the internet. Mostly for the vast amounts of information. I can just go on Wikipedia for hours and not even realize it.

Dorrie said...

The online versions of the newspapers don't bring everything and often, if you click on a link, it goes to a list of articles and the one you want is not there or don't allow printing them out.
But it's nice to get news of San Diego online....

..... said...

me too...the cup of coffee and the newspaper (maybe a buttery croissant too)...

it's a weekly ritual that allows me to slow down and think about the world in which we live...